Today I flipped back to the beginning of my One Year Bible and am starting over. I’ve been contemplating switching it up this year and doing a different plan…maybe just the gospels or something, but without finding anything compelling enough, I thought I would start out with the One Year reading plan again.
What’s grabbing me today may be a word for the whole year…not sure, but as I pray and think and listen and worship, I seem to have a lot of weight in this one area…expectation.
Do I expect enough from God? Not deserve, that’s different. I don’t deserve anything. But should I expect more from Him? What’s actually possible? Even more, what’s does He say is possible?
When I read Genesis 1 today, I see an amazing creator, one that can create something out of nothing. I see amazing power and I also see a release of power to us to share with God.
Then I read Matthew 1 and am just amazed how unnatural this whole story is. God is just so beyond the natural. Everything he does is just other, beyond the normal way of things.
- I read a line of descendants mixed with kings, prostitutes, adulterers, worshippers, idolaters, war survivers…and Jesus is born from this mixed line of people
- Then I read how Jesus is conceived through power of the Holy Spirit. This whole story is beyond natural
- Going even more cosmic, a star leads a bunch of wise men to Jesus. It’s actually a star that moves and it stops in Bethlehem directly over where Jesus is lying in a manger. I never really paid that much attention to this part…that the star was actually moving and stopping. I guess I always thought it was just high in sky, roughly over Bethlehem or something.
- “we saw it as it rose” — “And the star they had seen in the east guided them to Bethlehem. It went ahead of them and stopped over the place where the child was.”
- Then the wise men have a dream that warns them to go a different way home
And so I just read all of this and am moved. Do I expect enough from God who loves to move and guide in such supernatural ways? It’s like we all want to know what to do next, where to go, but we’re not expecting God to really be guiding us or something. If you saw a star rise, would you follow it? Seriously. That’s kind of crazy and risky. How about letting a dream guide us? Drive back on this road, not that one. Do we believe enough to follow God like this?
I don’t have it all worked out, but I do know that God is a supernatural God and he wants to guide us in ways that are beyond the “normal” ways. That’s where he’s challenging me anyway…To expect more from this supernatural God, who created the universe with his words, who moved stars like a GPS system, who takes incurable diseases and gets rid of them, who makes the impossible possible, and who…I dunno… what is He going to do?
Expectation… I think that’s my word for the year. We shall see. 🙂